StorageTV will shortly begin accepting contributed videos. (Talk about opening a Pandora's Box!) Here is a simple procedure for getting your video on StorageTV.
Propose a Video
We don't want home movies of your kids or pets. We are pretty focused at StorageTV on technology issues, especially storage-related. Videos can be:
- User Reports - We like these a lot. Tell us what you bought, how you came to buy it, options you considered, etc., and how it is working out for you. Tips and tricks are great!
- Vendor Reports - If you are a vendor, especially a start-up with a cool new idea, give us a brief overview on video. It costs you nothing (we keep editorial and advertising very separate) and it will likely be seen by lots of folks, some of whom might buy the product...or your company.
- Op Ed - Taking exception to something we've already posted? Don't feel like a comment is a sufficiently effective way to respond? Make a video of your rant and send it here. We'll start an op ed section if you want.
- Humor - We like humor, in case you haven't noticed. If you want to tell us (or show us) something funny, send us the video. If we agree that it is amusing, maybe we'll post it in our funnies section.
The important thing is to propose what you want to air before sending it to us. That way, we can save you some trouble or direct you to YouTube or somewhere else if we can't use your stuff.
You've Been Approved
So, you've cleared the first hurdle and we've emailed you that we are interested in your submission. Next steps include the following:
- Format and Logistics - We publish our vids here in a Flash format (.FLV) and we have some nifty tools for converting other formats, including Quicktime, AVI, and MPEG into Flash. We'll have an email exchange to determine what format file you are producing and how to get it to us.
- Second Review - Once received, we will check out the video to see whether it is what you proposed, whether the audio and video are up to our standards (like we have standards), and whether the length of the clip is within range -- five minutes is good, ten minutes is long. (Yes, we have clips that are longer than 10 minutes, but we are learning to cut them better!)
- Legal Matters - In another section of this guide, you will be able to download a form for legal clearances that we must have before we can air your video.
- Air Date - When everything is done, we will schedule a date for video conversion and airing on the site. We'll let you know when the video posts so you can tell your mom, wife, husband, kids, friends, fellow asylum inmates, whatever, that you have become an overnight star on StorageTV. Maybe we will host an STV Show at the end of the year with awards, lip synched musical numbers, etc. for contributors of our most frequently viewed clips.
Again, the most important thing is to propose what you want to air before sending it to us.