See No Evil. Speak No Evil. Hear No Evil.
Have No Fun.
Okay, so we have to have a few rules about content.
While we don't want to stifle creativity or freedom of expression (ours or yours), here are a few guidelines that we all need to observe.
- Thou shalt not lie. Simple enough. Tell the truth in your videos and we will strive to do so in ours.
- Thou shalt not steal. Don't include clips taken from media sources or we will get nastygrams from their rightful owners and they will be pulled. The only exception is supposedly the use of copyright material for satire. We are testing that one everyday.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. There are enough things wrong with technology that we don't need to make any more up. Taking exception to a representation made by a vendor or competitor is okay. But prevaricating is not.
- No ad hominem attacks. Saturday Night Live may have found it humorous for Chevy Chase to call Jane Curtain names when answering her opinions, but our moms taught us better. If you have a beef about a misrepresentation of fact, stick to refuting the misrepresentation. The idiot who made the misrepresentation is going to hell anyway.
- Do not show potentially harmful or illegal things in your videos. This isn't Jackass. It's StorageTV.
- All persons on camera must have signed releases for their participation. If we see their face, we need their form.
- Gratuitous use of foul language is not acceptable. Some folks use the "f" word as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, etc. We think it loses its impact if used so often. In any case, refrain from saying anything that would make your mom or your kids blush.